Saturday, June 27, 2009

Stockholm, Sweden

Here is a picture of me with my traveling partner.  It was raining but he insisted on wearing his sunglasses. 
I spent a lot of time walking around Gamla Stan.  It is an adorable island in the middle of Stockholm.




This was a really odd  figure that I found just walking around.  Not really sure what this is suppose to represent but I had to take a photo.
When I was in town all the high school students were graduating.  It must be a tradition to rent a dump truck and drive around the city blaring music and drinking beer because that is what they all did.  
This is the smallest statue in Stockholm.  He is an orphan boy.  In the winter old ladies knit hats and scarfs for the little guy so he can stay warm.
I thought this was an adorable phone booth.

View from City Hall Tower.


The bells that chime on the hour.
This is the brick corridors that you have to walk up to reach the top of the tower.
The Nobel Awards banquet is held in City Hall every December.

The person who created this chandelier did not think that electricity was an invention that would last so they only ran electricity to every other outlet.  This way if electricity did not succeed they could use the other outlets which ran on oil.
This ceiling was inspired by a viking ship. 

This is the Gold Room.  It is floor to ceiling mosaic tile.


This is the outside of the Vasa Museum.  The Vasa was a ship that sank on her maiden voyage in 1628.  The masts show how tall the ship was.  The ship was brought up from the bottom of Stockholm Harbor and reconstructed in the museum.   





This is one of the lifeboats.
This was the equipment that the salvage divers used.
This is a checkers game from the ship. 
Here I am with some of my friends.